Saturday, April 23, 2016

Why We Love the MJD Department

Having switched to a Media Studies, Journalism and Digital Arts (MJD) major my sophomore year, I went into the major unsure of what I wanted to focus on and what I was thinking of doing with the major after college. I knew I wanted to keep my minor in Business Administration, but for anyone who is in the MJD department or who knows someone in it, you come to understand that it is a unique major in that it is incredibly versatile. There are many great things about the department and for those who are considering taking on the MJD major, here are some things you should know about MJD life,

1. Classes
There are a bunch of different classes, electives and requirements that the major offers for students. Some of the requirements include Digital Media, Media Law and Ethics along with Senior Seminar, where students have three options (a book, web documentary, full documentary film) for their thesis. The variety is great because you gain so many different knowledge and skill sets that can be applied to so many things.
Both are pictures from my Adventure Filmmaking class last fall semester!


2. Community
The professors talk about this a lot and we feel it as a group in the major that there is a collaborative feeling to the work people do. If you are in the lab you tend to be able to ask someone their opinion on what your making or if they think the video clip looks good. It's a great major in that everyone does work together and tries to help each other out.

3. Time
I don't even want to think about how long I have spent in the computer labs over the duration of my career here at SMC, but some people get the impression that MJD is just a lot of work. I would say to you that it is, its not a major where you can slack off and expect great results. You get out of it what you put into it, and because college is very independently minded when you put in the work you will have projects that turn out great (trust me, my friend and I just made a film and the work completely paid off!)

4. Professors
They rock. The professors in the major are all great people and we as seniors have gotten to know them over the past four years through classes and projects. They have all done a lot of work outside of being professors as well which you can tell they bring into the classroom. They are all wicked helpful from questions about class, to advising meetings to even a piece of advice when you feel stumped working on your thesis.

5. Rewarding
Sitting in the classroom watching our full documentary being screened, my partner and I really saw everything come together. Because of this major also we both got the opportunity to travel abroad. Being able to do so much and have such a variety in a major, it is absolutely rewarding and I know I will take everything I have learned into what I want to do. If you are debating being in the major, or are curious about the class and work load, don't hesitate to reach out and eve ask professors to see if it's a great fit for you!

Facebook: Candice Kalil
Twitter: @CandiceLeeMary
Instagram: candicekalil31

No comments:

Post a Comment