Friday, September 12, 2014

There Is No Place Like Home

Being able to call Rhode Island home and go to school in Vermont, you can say I'm pretty lucky! In addition to my first post that described a little bit about me, I thought I would continue it to give you more of an idea of not only just me but my two homes. I grew up in Middletown, Rhode Island which is located right next door to Newport, Rhode Island.  And yes it is an island! (Aquidneck Island is made up of three towns: Newport, Middletown and Portsmouth) Newport is known for is tourism, mansions, sailing and beaches. Here’s the secret...Middletown has the best beaches! I was lucky enough to grow up sharing a drive way with my Grandma and have my other grandparents live two blocks away on an old farm. My sophomore year of high school after my grandma permanently moved to Florida we moved in right next door to my Nana and Papa which is where we live now.  After two into three years of going off to school, it made me realize how much of a wicked awesome place home is.

Here are some cool facts about RI:
1.      We use the word “wicked”  a lot, just as many New England states do
2.      Rhode Island is actually an abbreviationit has the longest state name in the country. Its full name is Rhode Island and Providence Plantations.
3.      It's a BUBBLER, not a water fountain.
4.      Home to Del’s lemonade and all you non Rhode Islanders can be jealous because it is the best thing ever.
5.      We also have coffee milk, be jealous of that too
6.      The dependency we have on Dunkin Donuts requires a need for multiple Dunkin’s to be on the same street
7.      It is completely socially acceptable that we have a big blue bug staring at you while you drive down the highway

As for Vermont it's a different but also great! I chose Saint Mike’s after my cousin who attended the University of Vermont mentioned it to me since I was not much of a big school person. After a tour of Saint Mike’s I applied and once I got accepted I couldn't have been more excited to go! Freshman and sophomore year were a blast as I got to know more and more about living in Vermont. It is a pretty cool place for more reasons than one.

Here are some cool facts about VT:
1.      Vermont once tried to secede from the country and successfully did for a few days before rejoining the U S of A
2.      Vermont does not allow billboards on their highways, so when you are driving up  scenic 89 and 100 the only signs you will see are exit signs
3.      Vermont is huge in support local business and remaining eco-friendly, basically having an overall down to earth lifestyle
4.      Soft ice cream is called “cremee”, maple cremee is the best!
5.      Legally you can marry your first cousin in Vermont
6.      Vermont is pretty original, for its businesses such as Ben & Jerry’s and music such as the favorite band Phish


You can say I get the best of both seasons. I spend my summers in Rhode Island and my ski season in Vermont, while getting an awesome four years at Saint Mike’s. Life isn’t too shabby. If you ever get the chance, I would recommend getting to visit and spend time in both states!

Facebook: Candice Kalil 
Twitter: @CandiceLeeMary
Instagram: candicekalil31

No comments:

Post a Comment