Wednesday, October 14, 2015

Falling for Vermont

Needless to say in Vermont the winter is awesome for winter sports and being near the mountains, but you can never really get sick of Vermont in the fall. There is so much to do that, besides the ever popular and gorgeous foliage, it has to offer that makes the fall hands down my favorite part of the year (besides ski season of course). Okay I do sort of in a way have an obsession with pumpkin iced coffee...and yes I know I am quote on quote "basic" for it ,but it is one of the best things about fall! The pumpkin and apple flavors being offered everywhere, hiking, pumpkin picking and naturally apple picking season ! You can't not have fun apple picking, there is just really no way. If you can't, not sure your human.

I got to go to Shelburne Orchards twice this semester which is a good trip to take during the fall! Just a twenty minute drive from campus you cross over to the town of Shelburne, which is adorable in and of itself. It has crafted scarecrows all over and still has its old small town feel. I went to cover the Bee Here Now festival at the Orchard a few weeks ago as a live coverage assignment for my Multi-Media Reporting class. The people there were incredibly passionate about their work with bees and how much of a problem it is that their importance in the ecosystem is not more of a prominent issue than it should be. They had people from UVM professors to beekeepers to quilters all there at the festival. We took our roommate Kelsie who had never been to Shelburne Orchards before, so naturally we had to go on a tractor ride!

The second time I got to go to the orchard is when I took my boyfriend Tyler two weeks ago when he came to visit for the weekend. He also hadn't gone apple picking since he was little so we did the naturally cheesy fall couple date to the apple orchard where yes, I know what you are thinking but we did get the classic apple picking couple pictures. When its fall and you take your boyfriend apple picking, how could you not? We picked a bunch so we could both cook up some apple pie and he could take some home with him!

One of the goals I had set for the semester also was that I would try to hike as much as possible. There's so much to see in Vermont that on top of skiing there's so much to see. This past weekend my friend Keri and I took a quick morning hike up to Mount Philo which takes about 30 to 45 minutes to get to the top. A very family - oriented hike I heard it was a shorter hike with a wicked pretty view, and it did not fail to meet that that's for sure. Fall in Vermont I don't think will ever get old to me and but never has every time I came to Vermont growing up and even now. Its just a gorgeous state with gorgeous views to boot and you have to take it all in while you can!


Facebook: Candice Kalil
Twitter: @CandiceLeeMary
Instagram: candicekalil31

No comments:

Post a Comment