Tuesday, March 17, 2015

Reunions Abroad

This entire trip I have been travelling with either my program as a whole or with a group of friends. This weekend was the first time I fully planned a trip by myself, and also flew completely on my own. It was not spooky or nerve racking at all since I have gotten to fly many times before. I didn't really think about it until naturally talking with my mom she asked to make sure I let her know when I left and arrived at the airport. Flying by myself was actually pretty nice and since I had to study for exams I was able to focus on that. I flew to Amsterdam this past weekend to go visit Mar! Mar came to the states for our freshman year for field hockey and it was the first time seeing each other since! I got to stay with her in Leidon which is a small city/town outside of Amsterdam. It was the most adorable small city with cute buildings, boat filled canals and TONS OF BIKES. I knew how much the Dutch biked but my god I have never seen so many in my life and they were all just as adorable as the location. It was great to see how awesome life in the Netherlands is and her friends were hysterical as I was a bit challenging to talk to since they are all fluent in Dutch. I give them the credit for practicing English and it was hysterical when they tried to translate Dutch songs into English since they sound ridiculous unless they are in Dutch. 



My experience getting to go to the Netherlands was a bit different than most because I got to see more of it than just Amsterdam. After just three days in the quaint country I can tell you it was incredibly hard to leave. It was one of the most adorable places! Sounds silly to use the word adorable but that is the best way I can describe it the entire place from the city to the country was so pretty! I got to go into the city of Amsterdam for a day where we were pretty much super tourists seeing every must-see part including the I AMSTERDAM monument, seeing the tulip markets and even going on a boat ride through the canal. Could exactly go to Amsterdam without doing that! 





We also went to this area called Zaanse Schans which is an area full of windmills, clogs and cheese. Oh and the Dutch pancakes. It was one of the most adorable places and incredibly Dutch. The area is pretty cool because it used to be completely underwater, and the windmills built brought the water up from the ground to create the land that’s there now. We got to climb up a windmill too and it is amazing how gigantic they are even when they look so small from just standing on the ground. Also wheels of cheese are way cooler than slices, and they even pair it with mustard which is funny!

Getting to spend the weekend exploring the Netherlands and getting to catch up with Mar was awesome! It had been far too long and the goodbye part was nowhere near easy. It’s crazy to think of the friends I have made and how we are all pretty much all over the world. Earlier this week Izzy from home even made it to Granada for a day! I got a taste of home for the weekend and it was hands down one of my favorite times thus far travelling abroad!

Facebook: Candice Kalil
Twitter: @CandiceLeeMary
Instagram: candicekalil31 

No comments:

Post a Comment