Thursday, March 12, 2015

Pomegranate


Living here I feel like I know Granada so well but at the same time I feel like there is still so much to do! From different restaurants and tapas places to try to make sure I see all the historical parts of the city. One of the most mind-boggling things I have experienced here is the fact that I am basically neighbors with Queen Isabelle and King Ferdinand of Spain. The Inquisition, Los Rayos Catolicos...yep that's them! They are buried down the street from my apartment next to the Cathedral as Granada was the last area they conquered which they took from the Moors in 1492. Their tombs were a bit spooky when we visited them but we were able to see Isabella's crown and a lot of their art which was cool to see! I also felt I would have missed out if I did not see that because I have learned so much about them it would be silly not to go see that.

Recently as I have been walking around the city, hiking and even talking with my friends I have noticed my Spanish getting so much better. Conversations are still a little shaky since I tend to need a little bit of time to think out what I have to say, but I am pretty much able to get by with everything else while also being able to comprehend the language really well. A trick I was told and found helped was watching TV or movies in Spanish with Spanish subtitles. I had to look up the random words I didn't know but it was really helpful in understanding everything!

Every weekend I tend to have something planned whether it is a day trip with my program or a weekend trip I have planned with friends, so I try to explore the Granada a lot during the week and then also when I'm not travelling. A few cool things about Granada are that even though it is a city it has a lot of good hiking and places to go walk to find "miradors" or lookout points with unreal views. Another funny thing which I should have added before is that the word "Granada" in Spanish means "Pomegranate". That is why there is a pomegranate in the Spanish crest which can be seen on the country's flag. 

Getting to learn all the different cultural aspects of the city and really just wandering are some of my favorite parts of living here. I look around and sometimes still can't believe I live here. Here's to two great months and two more to come!

Facebook: Candice Kalil
Twitter: @CandiceLeeMary
Instagram: candicekalil31

No comments:

Post a Comment