Monday, September 29, 2014

My Classroom is Better Than Your Classroom

Mountain Biking at Catamount
As a Media Studies, Journalism and Digital Arts (MJD) major I get offered a bunch of wicked interesting electives. One of these electives that I signed up for this semester was Adventure Film-making. I was like this is going to be sweet, I’m going to get to do all this cool stuff and film rock climbing, kayaking, hiking and who knows what other outdoor-sy adventurous things…until I remember the “class” part of the course. The class is a lot of work and initially I was a bit nervous I took on more than I bargained for. After a few weeks   into the class I learned very quickly how much I had already gotten out of the class. In addition to class time there are a required 3 field shooting labs on where we go out to different locations to shoot mountain biking, rock climbing and kayaking.

Along with this we were asked to attend three Wilderness Program trips in close relation to the activities we would be shooting.  So far we have gone on our mountain biking shoot and rock climbing shoot. Both I had never tried before, let alone done with a camera in my hand. We were thrown right in there and it has by far been the some of the best experiences I have had at Saint Mike’s. Since when do you get to have class biking around Catamount Outdoor Family Center or hang from the top of a rock face at Bolton  Valley Ski Area? You can say my classroom beats a lot of classrooms! It’s not every day you get to go outside and jump into something totally new. It definitely makes you step out of your comfort zone!

In addition to the field shootings, we are asked to participate in three Wilderness Program Trips throughout the semester. This past Sunday I was able to go hike Camel’s Hump on probably one of the nicest weekends there has been so far. It was a bluebird day without a cloud in the sky and the fall colors were in full swing. My friend Q (You might know her as Monica, but she asks a lot of questions so she goes by Q!)  and I took on the hike early Sunday morning and the view from the summit made the hike more than worth it! It was during the peak of the foliage too so the colors were unreal!



The Summit

Q and I at the summit!

Our Sunday morning lunch spots' view wasn't too shabby!

Not too bad for an adventurous couple weeks only this far into the semester! There is still a kayaking field shooting and I signed up for a sea kayaking trip in October. You can say I am praying that winter takes its time coming or else it will be a cold couple of trips!

Facebook: Candice Kalil 
Twitter: @CandiceLeeMary
Instagram: candicekalil31

No comments:

Post a Comment