Friday, May 8, 2015

Living in the Iberian Peninsula

In having learned a lot about the history and culture of the area, here are some pretty interesting facts of where I am studying abroad:
  • Spain and Portugal make up the Iberian Peninsula, which was huge throughout history for its valuable land and trading opportunities
  • There is a point in Sangres, Portugal called "the end of the world" where the Portuguese and Catholic Monarchs believed the world ended before the Age of Discovery
  • Spain is the worlds largest producer of olive oil
  • Spain has been conquered over and over again by empires from the Romans to the Visigoths, the Moorish Empire which gave it its Islamic culture and then by the Catholic Monarchs
A whole lot of history is here in the Iberian Peninsula, more than we are taught in US schools where they mainly focus on the Age of Discovery and the Catholic Monarchs. This past weekend I got to check off one of my top places to visit while abroad and got to explore the other side of the peninsula by visiting southern Portugal. I went to the towns of Albufiera, Sangres and Lagos. Needless to say at some point in my life whenever that may be I will find a way to get back there, and live somewhere in Portugal because it is a beautiful country!







We got to see the craziest cliffs at the end of the world, which hands down is one of the prettiest places I have ever seen. From there we went to Lagos which we were told was a decently underrated city for travelling to, and I can see why it was an adorable town with gorgeous beaches. I could have easily stayed don't think I wouldn't have. The trip was called "Paradise Weekend" for a good reason, it was a great time with great company!

Coming back to Granada I realized that was my last trip of the semester. I am travelling to Rome and Majorca for a week before heading back to the US but two weeks from today my program ends, and I don't even know how to comprehend that. There was so much built up to studying abroad and now that its almost over, bittersweet is really the only word to describe it. I'm excited to be home and see my family (and of course my pups!) but I am going to miss the people and this city. I am going to miss the awesome group of friends who I was lucky to get to travel Europe with and the professors who taught me more than I could have thought. One of my friends sent us an article about the friends you make travelling, and how those friends are so valuable. It hit the nail on the head for how much I am going to miss the people I have met here. The entire semester has memories and people I will never forget, and has been the best experience I could ask for. Here is to the next two weeks and the city I have called home.

My Spanish class and our adorable professor!

Facebook: Candice Kalil
Twitter: @CandiceLeeMary
Instagram: candicekalil31

No comments:

Post a Comment