Tuesday, February 24, 2015

Un mes en Granada

It's been a month here in Spain! It both feels like we just got here and being in the US also feels like a decent time ago. It's a mix but the time is starting to fly and I cannot wait for the next three months! When you plan to go abroad and say you get to live in this or that country, you really get to become immersed in the culture in more ways than you think of before coming. Some things that stand out to me, especially when I first got here, are how it doesn't look good to walk around outside with wet hair from just taking a shower before walking out the door. Or even walking around while eating food or drinking coffee isn't too common here either. My favorite is how much the dogs here are more dressed up daily than I am any given week. People here go to good lengths to buy the most adorable and stylish outfits for their pups even down to the leashes and bows. There will be times where I can't help but compare the culture here to the U.S. culture because that is what I know. After a month here I am learning to do that less and less. Immersing yourself in another culture without a doubt helps you learn to go with the flow and also keep an open mind.

Since we do not have classes on Fridays (not a bad bonus!) my friends and I took advantage of all the hiking that Granada has around the area and explored some pretty sweet spots. I went on a hike with one of my apartment-mates where we were in a group of people who all for the most part only spoke Spanish. This was great for me because it forced me to practice speaking more and I was able to hold a decent conversation solely in Spanish. With no awkward pauses and being able to understand what the others were saying, I was pretty excited. Its the little things but its true! It made me see the work I have been putting in the past few weeks starting to pay off. It was awesome hike through the hills behind La Alhambra and learn more conversational skills.

On Sunday a group of us went on a day trip the villages of La Alpujarra named Pampaniera, BubiĆ³n and Capiliera. The three quaint villages were located about 1 to 2 kilometers apart from each other on the south side of the Sierra Nevada's. We were dropped of at the lower village of Pampaniera and from there hiked through the hills to the other two with views that were crazy. The best way to describe it is think of the mountains of Colorado with the buildings of Greece dropped right in them and that's the best way to describe it. It was a blast having a big group and we took the time to just wander around the area & hike through the different little villages. If you ever make it to this part of Spain it's definitely a day trip I would recommend doing! We sat for lunch and made a whole bunch of new furry friends who knew better than we did how hungry we were for lunch. The towns were Mediterranean style and had different characteristics like farms, buildings that all had nothing short of a beautiful view and even a small chocolate factory that we couldn't pass up. Even hiking I almost lost my camera! I had it on the outside pocket of my backpack but it fell out and thankfully just into a small bush. Allie found it there thank goodness! Allie saved Christmas and my best way of capturing my next three months!

A bluebird day, great views and great friends all made for a great hiking filled weekend!


Facebook: Candice Kalil
Twitter: @CandiceLeeMary
Instagram: candicekalil31

No comments:

Post a Comment