Wednesday, October 29, 2014

Before the Colors Run Out

Being mid term time, the past two weeks or so have been super busy and packed! Not only with work but some pretty fun times too! Recently we had our fall break which gave us a Friday off. Unfortunately since Rhode Island is still a good drive and with rugby season in full swing I decided to stay on campus to get a jump start on school work. To my disadvantage I got the annual "mid-term week and colder weather" cold which I spent the whole weekend fighting off. Don't think I let that stop myself , my friends and I actually took a field trip to go visit the Shelburne Museum since the majority of us had never been! The museum is massive and is basically a large, touring icon of Vermont filled with historical artifacts and structures. It is an interactive museum so you do have a bit of walking to do!

(Q, Pointy, Suze and I heading back to grammar school)
An interactive museum, this gem of Shelburne took you back in time through the history of Vermont. From a blacksmith shop to a printing press to historic bridges and buildings, the Shelburne Museum has it all! It was a great trip to get off campus for a bit during the break on a gorgeous fall day. On our way out we happened upon the carousal they had which is over 90 years old, naturally we had to embrace our inner child before we left!

Also in the past two weeks I was able to go Sea Kayaking with the SMC Wilderness Program. I have never been and getting to kayak through Lake Champlain especially this time of year was beautiful. The colors in the mountains were unbelievable but a bright sunny day out on the water made for a perfect Sunday. I had never been kayaking other than just paddling around on the ocean at home and using the kayak as an anchor to jump off of. It was a great experience and I wish I hadn't waited until my junior year to do it. Here's some pictures of the trips:

Kayaks for the Wilderness Program





Great day with these goons!
(Q and I embracing our inner child)
I would absolutely recommend getting involved as soon as you can because I would have loved to have done more hiking, kayaking or any of the outdoor trips that the Wilderness Program has because it is a great way to get outside and explore Vermont.  Even with having an  incredibly busy few weeks with homework, classes and rugby being able to get outside both hiking and kayaking with some off campus trips such as the one to the Shelburne Museum has made for some great times this semester! The fall weather and foliage doesn't last forever so it's been great to get outside before the colors run out!

Facebook: Candice Kalil 
Twitter: @CandiceLeeMary
Instagram: candicekalil31

No comments:

Post a Comment